Monday, April 11, 2011

Life of Pi Part one

 I have to say that, so far, this book is as boring in the beginning as the first time I read it, but I know it gets better in the future. I'm sure that, even though all of this information seems random now, all of the background information will serve a purpose later in the book. One of the most interesting parts to me was when he discussed different religions. The book shows that, at a young age, Pi was interested in many different religions so it's really no suprise that later in life, one of his two majors was religion. Something that really stood out to me in the parts where he was discussing his religious life was when Pi stated that he was not just a Hindu, Christian, or Muslim, but rather all three simultaneously. I suppose it's because we don't hear of that a lot. When you ask someone about their religious views, they usually say just Hindu or Christian, or Muslim or whatever else, not more than one. I have to wonder how Pi was able to practice several, very different religions at the same time. Pi's majors in college were also very interesting. It's really odd that he chose both zoology and religion together. Apart, they both seem like very interesting subjects, but it is hard to see them together, religion seems more of the human as a spiritual being while zoology sees a human as an animal and nothing more.
  Surprisingly, some parts, especially the part about the sloths, I actually find, interesting for a lack of better words. But at some points, I did not think I would be able to get through the book. Thankfully I know this book gets much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment